- 1 package of 12 drum sticks or 1 whole chicken broken into 10 pieces
- 2 scallions, chopped into fourths
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, smashed
- 2 TBSP salt
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- water, until it covers all the meat in the pot
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP honey
- 3 TBSP brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 1-inch piece of garlic, sliced
- 2 lemons, juiced
- red pepper flakes, to taste
Mix brine ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk.
Cover the chicken with the brine and cover with plastic wrap or use a ziploc.
Refrigerate for up to 1 hour (but not longer).
Heat up a grill to 350 degrees.
Drain the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
Season it lightly with salt and pepper then place the chicken on hot grill.
Brown the chicken on both sides — about 4-5 minutes per side.
Then lower the heat and continue to cook the chicken through for about 10 minutes.
In a small saucepan over medium heat add sauce ingredients.
Simmer for 10 minutes until flavors come together and sauce is slightly thicker.
Baste the chicken with a pastry brush and continue cooking chicken on grill for another 5-7 minutes.
Baste again when done and serve extra sauce on the side.